Please note that below I keep saying "29 weeks" this does not indicate that I will be delivering anytime soon. At this point there is no indication that I will deliver any time earlier than our long term goal of 34 weeks. He just wanted to emphasize that 29 weeks is good, but any day or week after this is better and eliminates more and more of any possible issues. The older baby is gestationally (longer he/she stays in) the better and less severe any of the possible complications are.
I will try my best to summarize his thoughts:
- Babies born at 29 weeks have the same survival rate as full term newborns, thus this is not a risk factor.
- Babies born at 29 weeks have very little risk for any cognitive or sensory issues.
- Babies born at 29 weeks will most likely stay in the hospital until roughly their due date (about 6-9 weeks after birth)
- The main two risks are respiratory issues (which is why I am getting the steriods to mature the baby's lungs) and inability to feed until 34 weeks (thus before 34 weeks tube feeding would be the order)
- The repiratory issues could be severe or mild. Varying from mild, needs some assistance and then can breathe on own to moderate needing a nasal tube with oxygen to severe needing a breathing tube. They will also possibly use surfactant (synthetic lung maturer)
- The feeding issue: babies don't have the appropriate reflexes or interest in traditional feeding until 34 weeks
Now Mommy:
- my blood pressure is good, last reading was very normal for me, which is normal to a little low
- sugar is off due to the steroids and gestational diabetes, but being treated with insulin untile the steriods wear off (about 3-5 days)
- No contractions whatsoever...due to antibiotics and good hydration
- baby is head down preventing leak of new amniotic fluid, which is good as there is no sign of infection at all
I will be posting again later after the second monitoring of baby









Science is amazing. Here's hoping your little baby stays puts until at least 34 weeks. Also good luck with the hospital bedrest. I've been in the hospital for the last three weeks on bedres and I'm also not leaving until my babies arrive. It's not easy and at moments it's unbearable but the weeks have been passing. Good luck and take care of yourself and your baby.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeletegreat blog. i think i understand a little better now. can i share this?
ReplyDeleteChristi,
ReplyDeleteJust want you to know that we are thinking of you. I am optimistic that everything is going to go well. You are in a very good hospital. I used to work with moms/babies with this type of condition. Sounds like thing are going well. Take care and let us know if there is anything we can do to help you. Elaine