Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day...what a gift

I was greeted this morning early with a cheerful little voice wishing me a happy mother's day on the phone, which nearly induced a full hormonal reaction..yes, my boys called me first thing to wish me a happy Mommy's day. Then I had the pleasure of actually seeing them and getting a great card and some nice keep you busy items to make the time here pass faster.

I also got to see my neices and nephew too, so all in all a great day for visiting, relaxing and just incubating.

An issue we have been struggling with is my blood sugar levels. I was diagnosed as having gestational diabetes the day this all happened and hadn't gotten to the education part to see what would be the course of action to control it. So between the steriods used to mature baby's lungs and the higher than what I thought I should be getting levels of carbs, my blood sugar has been off the charts. I have had to have insulin injections since checking in. Today....none. In fact, if anything my sugar is low, not high. Sounds like it is getting kinda figured out. They are really on top of it.

Luckily, when Brian was here, he actually got to talk to the dr and nurses that I see everyday. He was able to ask questions and I hope get answers he was looking for. One answer, that we are holding cautiously optimistic about is that, next week, probably Wednesday, they are going to be doing another ultrasound to monitor the levels of amniotic fluid. The dr mentioned that he was surprised to see the levels he did from the last ultrasound and that I may be in the rare few that actually have the amnion (baby sac) patch back up and thru process of nature, fill back up with fluid..good mommy drinking over 120 oz of water a day! AND....he said depending on the results of the test to determine how much fluid is in there, I may actually be discharged.

Dischaged...scares the hell out of me. I am in the safety of a nationally ranked hospital where if anything should happen, they can fix it. At home, I would still be on complete bedrest, which is also scary, but seemingly unrealistic at home....a 3 year old, 2 dogs and a family that needs me..yes, it would be harder in my opinion.

So we are taking all of this with a grain of salt. Certainly celebrating the possibility of this being the best news that we could ever receive!

1 comment:

  1. Happy mother's day to you and sounds like things are holding steady for the time being. That's great that everything is going so well. Hang it there each day is so important.

    ReplyDelete