Thursday, May 28, 2009

Almost 32 weeks...

So, it is official. I have made it 3 weeks longer than the dr's initially predicted. They gave me most likely 24-48 hours after my water broke to deliver. I was under 29 weeks when this happened and I am 32 weeks tomorrow.

So tomorrow, baby hits a big milestone. 32 weeks is what the hospitals I have been in look at as the "if baby makes it to 32 weeks in-utero, he/she will be as good as a full termer" milestone. So at this point, they start to really weigh the pros and cons for baby and me of delivery vs. waiting to 34 weeks.

The biggest risk of course is infection. I am now off IV antibiotics, so the risk increases. The best way to determine how baby will do outside is to check the amniotic fluid for fetal lung maturity. This is what they plan on doing tomorrow. When we get the results that will tell us what we have to weigh at that point.

2 comments:

  1. 32 weeks is huge milestone congrats on making it this far! My 32 week babies are doing great just learning how to eat and grow, but no big issues at this point. Good luck to you and your baby in whatever is decided.

    ReplyDelete