I got to spend some good quality time with my little man today. The 2pm feeding seems to be the best in terms of him being alert and receptive to feeding, without the feeding tube that is. He usually wakes up about 10 minutes before care time and is wide-eyed and alert. He will stay awake for almost an hour just looking up at me, so I always make sure to make it for this care time.
Today, he did what I expected him to, woke up started searching for his hands, but didn't really want them when he found them. I was waiting for the nurse to bring his bottle so we can try that instead of just breastfeeding. So while he was waiting, I offered him the paci, and he just went to town. Strong sucking reflex!
In the past, he hadn't been interested in the bottle. But today, he successfully took 5 cc's (I know...not much, but it's the first time) without spitting up or loosing any. He seemed like that was enough, so we didn't push it.
Hopefully they will be successful another time on the next shift, as this is key for him being ready to come home. His little girlfriend, who was a week ahead gestationally, but a day before in terms of when she was born, went home today. She has always been about a day ahead of Gunner...so he may be getting ready to go home before too long. That is if he continues eating progress.
He is also gaining weight, he is now up to 4lb 3.6oz....all is good!
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









All great news! So glad to hear it!-
ReplyDeleteOur prayers continue- Maureen
I'm so happy to hear that you're little guy continues to do well.The eating thing will click a little more each time and hopefully he'll be home before you know it. I hope you're doing well with your recovery and the time at the hospital, and getting a little bit of rest it's all so exhausting.
ReplyDelete