Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Day 4 Updates...Mommy Goes Home...

Little Gunner at 4 days old...

Today, after feeding, holding and stamping footprints, Mommy was discharged and Gunner stayed in the NICU...emotional, yes, but I honestly think it would be worse to have him home, because there is no way that I could provide for him the care he is getting in the NICU. The nurses there are amazing. I actually think if he were home at this point, I would be in the same 100% anxiety state that I was in the hospital those 5 weeks before he was born. So, is it odd to drive home without your baby? Yes, but it sure is better to know he is in the best hands there are.

Honestly, yes, I did cry on the way home from the hospital. But it wasn't really because he wasn't with us. It was because I was having flashbacks to on the way there when I was not sure he would be ok.

He was doing great this morning. They have increased his feeding to 20cc's, which is over a half an ounce. Dr. also said if he wants more, he can have it. This is key to regulating his billirubin count, as well as the poopy diapers they get real excited about in the NICU. They sound as though they will be removing his IV later this week and that would be when he moves to the step down nursery, to "feed and grow". He was loving his paci today; especially when you put your finger in the hole of it from behind so he can feel the nipple better.

No comments:

Post a Comment