Sunday, November 15, 2009

Giving Thanks...Day 4


Today, I give thanks for family. Not just in the biological sense, but in the emotional and supportive sense. The people that show up when you need it most. With this definition, I would include family by marriage and close friends. Although, I come from a large family, but we unfortunately are not extraordinarily close.


This summer was quite an eye opener. My situation, call it dramatic or not, was what could be life or death, either for me or my sweet baby. It could have played out much differently and I thank God everyday that I am so blessed that it didn't.


I spent a large part of my summer, 3 months worth, surrounded by 4 walls or 3 and a curtian. I am referencing the 12 weeks of bedrest and NICU time. This could have been a very lonely, stressful and difficult time for me. Thanks to all the visits, phone calls, emails, cards, flowers, and gifts, it wasn't.


My hospital room routinely looked like a greenhouse and smelled even better. Between my bedrest and the birth of Gunner, I think I received over 20 floral arrangements. I honestly think Aunt Sandy had 1-800-flowers on speed dial. Sometimes I would get a new one before the last one had expired. I remember those sunny sunflowers the most, they were sooo cheery, when I was not so much!


Trudging to the NICU day after day, when you know your baby is not coming home, riding the elevator with countless family members and friends who were all there to see the new full term, 8 lb baby, so excited with love and joy was hard. Of course, I would never do it any other way, but it was hard. To have someone to share it with, made it so much easier. That person, who was there, day after day after day, was Mimi. She was there making a 2 hour commute (one way) to Grand Rapids several times a week, she was there daily in Kalamazoo, and she was there everyday with Gunner. Even on a day when her husband had to go to the hospital...well that was the day Gunner arrived on this earth, so hell or high water, it was obvious she would be there.


As I said, friends can be family too. I will never forget what may seem trivial to some, food, brought by a friend. As I was on a gestational diabetic diet, by the end of the haul I had almost totally lost my appetite. I would force myself to eat, I would drink ensure shakes, I would feel full from the prior meal, but still call for more food, even though I couldn't get it down...for the hope of having a bigger small baby. On several occasions, a wonderful friend, Maureen, brought me non-hospital food. Food that actually made me hungry and tasted good. Funny how it was that yummy food made such a difference in my day. As she works downtown she came to see me pretty regularly at lunch. More recently, a friend who we have helped in the past, returned the favor, which is very much appreciated too.


I was surprised how even strangers can be helpful and supportive. People I may not know, but they knew of me and my situation sent me treats and goodies and flowers. All of these gestures were not forgotten.


Today, I give thanks for family.

1 comment:

  1. How funny that we wrote basically the same post for day four. The hospital bedrest and NICU really does show just how great and supportive friends can be, and how they do become like family.

    ReplyDelete