Today, I give thanks for my angel baby, Gunner. My last and very special boy. At five months 1 week and 2 days (actual) I already have soooo much invested and soooo much to love.
As I said, five months actual. That means there is an adjusted age too; that age is only 3 months 3 weeks. Yes, he was born seven weeks too soon. His prematurity is honestly a blessing and a curse. It is a blessing because I am now a powerful advocate for him and all preemies, it has changed me as a mom and a person, for the better I think. It is a curse for obvious reasons, the 6 weeks of hospital bedrest, the 6 weeks of NICU time, the uncertainty and stress of all of that. However, those "curses" made the blessing, that is him, so much more noticeable. So, as I said, at such a young age, we already have so much invested, which makes us so very very thankful.
Gunner is developing right at about the typical 4 to 4 1/2 month level. He is communicating with us with delightful coos, babbles, giggles and laughs. He studies his hands, eats them quite frequently, manipulates toys and takes his paci in and out of his mouth. I think I have seen him transfer as well. He has amazing head control and core strength. He will pull himself to a 90-degree sit if you recline him on your lap. So for all of his normal level developments, I am ever so thankful. As with a preemie, you have the chance and probability of delays in motor and cognitive development, and he seems to have none, being well within the range of normal.
His size, being a preemie, of course was and is a constant concern. However, my boy is putting his parents and peditrician at ease, with successfully gaining both weight and length, enough to put him in the lower levels of "normal baby" stats, although on the lower levels.
No one ever questions a name after it is given. Before maybe, but after it is associated with a precious baby, so no one ever asks. Gunner was my choice. I chose it one, because it goes good with Greyson, but the meaning is scandanavian, and it means bold warrior. My little bold warrior of the NICU. It gave me peace that I armed him not only with prayers of his family and friends, but a strong name so he could fight for his life when he was sooo small. He is living up to his name.
So, on this day, I give thanks for my sweet baby Gunner.









No comments:
Post a Comment