Wednesday, November 4, 2009

How lucky we actually were...

So I have mentioned many times how lucky we were to have Gunner keep baking as long as he did. In honor of Prematurity Awareness Month I did some research to see how lucky we actually were. The reason Gunner was born early was due to preterm premature rupture of membranes (pPROM)...we beat the odds as you can see below, by making it for over a month after my water breaking so early (28 weeks). PROM is the single most common diagnosis leading to admission of the newborn to intensive care nursing.

Here are some stats:
  • 1/3 of preterm births are due to preterm premature rupture of the membranes (PPROM).
  • About 75% of all women with PPROM will deliver within 1 week, and nearly all will deliver preterm.
  • Major neonatal infections occur in about 5% of all cases of preterm PROM, and in 15 - 20% of those with chorioamnionitis. .
  • Only about 20% PProms will prolong pregnancy duration up to 1 month.

So as you can see, I was in the minority to maintain the pregnancy without infection and without spontaneous onset of labor, and with a perfectly formed and healthy baby boy to show for it!

Stay tuned for the birth story...

1 comment:

  1. Go Gunner!!! Thanks for being part of Bloggers Unite to "fight for preemies!" I look forward to your post on the 17th, Prematurity Awareness Day.

    ReplyDelete